Childhood Vaccine-Related Injury Compensation Program.
§130A-427. Commission awards for vaccine-related injuries; duties of Secretary.
(a) Upon determining that a claimant has sustained a vaccine-related injury, the Commission shall make an award providing compensation or services for any or all of the following:
(1) Actual and projected reasonable expenses of medical care, developmental evaluation, special education, vocational training, physical, emotional or behavioral therapy, and residential and custodial care and service expenses, that cannot be provided by the Department pursuant to subdivision (5) of this subsection;
(2) Loss of earnings and projected earnings, determined in accordance with generally accepted actuarial principles;
(3) Noneconomic, general damages arising from pain, suffering, and emotional distress;
(4) Reasonable attorneys' fees;
(5) Needs that the Secretary determines on a case- by-case basis shall be met by medical, health, developmental evaluation, special education, vocational training, physical, emotional, or behavioral therapy, residential and custodial care, and other essential and necessary services, to be provided the injured party by the programs and services administered by the Department. The Secretary shall develop an itemized list of the service needs of the injured party upon review and evaluation of the injured party's medical record and shall present it to the Commission prior to the Commission's determination. In the event that the Commission's award includes the provision of any of these services, the Secretary shall develop a comprehensive, coordinated plan for the delivery of these services to the injured party. Notwithstanding any other provision of State law, the Secretary shall waive all eligibility criteria in determining eligibility for services provided by the Department under the plan of care developed pursuant to this subdivision. If the award includes any such services, these services shall be provided by the Department free of any cost to the injured party.
(b) The money compensation component of the award may not be made pursuant to this section in excess of an aggregate amount of the present day value amount of three hundred thousand dollars ($300,000) with respect to all injuries claimed to have resulted from the administration of a covered vaccine to a single individual. The value of all services to be provided by the Department, as part of this award is in addition to the total amount of money compensation, and is not included in the limitation prescribed by this subsection on the amount of money compensation that may be awarded. No damages may be awarded pursuant to subdivision (a)(3) on behalf of any person to whom the covered vaccine was not administered. (1985 (Reg. Sess., 1986), c. 1008, s. 1; 1989, c. 727, s. 151; 1997-443, s. 11A.86.)
Return to Table of Contents page for Chapter 97. Workers' Compensation Act.
Display Complete Text of Chapter 97. Workers' Compensation Act.